Saturday, April 20, 2013

Langkawi

My heart was heavy this week with the bombings at the Boston Marathon finish line.  For me, finish lines are empowering and inspiring.  They are where the impossible becomes reality.  I'm beyond heartbroken that I will not be joining all the family running in Oklahoma City next weekend, but you better believe I will be running with you all in mind.

It is easy to focus on the negative when bad things happens, so I'm making extra effort to count my blessings.  One of those blessings is the opportunity we have to travel.  Our trip to Malaysia was just scratching the travel surface.  Our final vacation destination in Malaysia was the island of Langkawi to enjoy the beach and wildlife.  We tend to underestimate the size of islands.  We first realized this problem after a three hour trek across Key West dragging our luggage.  Thankfully, this time we were smart enough to hop in a cab when we landed in Langkawi.  It was a 45 minute ride to the remote location of our hotel.  It was right on the beach, but also surround by trees.  We had many fury and slimy visitors.  We saw a flying squirrel next to the pool.  And you better believe that I screamed when I turned the corner in the staircase to see a monkey on the handrail five feet from me.  The hotel windows and doors had special locks because these monkeys had mastered door handles.

 
We took a boat ride to investigate what Langkawi has to offer. 
On the boat tour we did completely normal things, like:
 
Cave hopping 
 

 

Petting sting rays (When I say “we” here, I mean Jonathon made physical contact and I took pictures.  There was no way I was touching that evil force.)



Feeding eagles



We rode a gondola to get above the rainforest canopy and were able to see some of the 100 islands surrounding Langkawi.  The island count changes throughout the day as the tide swallows or exposes them. 





You can even test your fear of heights by walking on the Sky Bridge.

We had a great trip and wonderful introduction to Asia.  Thanks for checking up on us, and know we are sending extra love this week.

3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog--- what an adventure you two are on! Very exciting-
    Aunt Faye Holmes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Faye. It sounds like we missed a great wedding. Please pass along our congratulations and best wishes to the new couple.

      Delete
  2. Thanks-- I sure will! Maybe you will meet them one day!

    ReplyDelete