Friday, April 26, 2013

We are Home

I’m out of pictures from our Malaysia trip, so it is back to talking about Doha life.  We had a great vacation, but when we were at the airport in KL we were ready to come home.  Then it hit us, it took six months but we now feel like Doha is our home.  This is a big deal people.  We aren’t orphans!   

We just earned our desert camping badge.  We went camping at the singing dunes last weekend and are still cleaning sand out of our ears.  The dunes are in a pretty random location.  Most of the ground is hard in this area except for a couple enormous sand dunes.  They are called the singing dunes because they make a humming noise when you slide down them.  Of course we had to test this, so we hauled ourselves to the top of the sand dunes.  (My muscles are still burning.) 
 
   
   
 
 
  
 
We got to watch the sunset and we ate smores (kind of).  I wasn’t using my brain and thought that when our British friends said they would bring smore stuff that I would be enjoying graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallow goodness.  I’m not sure if the word cracker even exists in British English, and biscuit means different things to Brits and Americans.


Anyway, I pretty much ate a marshmallow on a chocolate chip cookie and you know I’m never going to complain about eating a cookie, but still not a smore.   
British English and American English can get pretty confusing.  Our office has a little cafeteria in it where we eat lunch most days.  Walking back from the cafeteria, my coworker asked me what the queue looked like.  I thought he was asking how the letter Q was shaped, but he knows English so I was super confused.  I ended up just stopping and staring at him.  After confusing jabber, I learned that queue means line in British English.
 
Here are some more vocabulary differences between American and British English:
American English British English
Apartment  Flat
Cookie, cracker  Biscuit
Elevator  Lift
First floor, second floor Ground floor, first floor
Flashlight  Torch
French fries  Chips
Garbage, trash  Rubbish
Garbage can, trashcan  Dustbin, rubbish bin
Gas, gasoline  Petrol
Hood  Bonnet
Mail  Post
Pants  Trousers
Potato chips  Crisps
Stand in line  Queue
Trunk  Boot (of a car)
Stand in line  Queue
Two weeks  Fortnight
Underwear Pants (I know confusing)
Vacation  Holiday(s)
Stand in line  Queue
 
Source:http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/writing/american-english-vocabulary.htm

 
I am happy because peanut butter is back in my life.  It has been missing for about a month.  A really long, rough month.  I can only buy my peanut butter at one store in Doha and it isn’t the place we usually grocery shop.  The other stores have “peanut butter” but I don’t think peanuts are an ingredient.  I don’t even know how you forget peanut butter, but we were at the store with peanut butter and I completely forgot to get some.  I remembered right when we got home and started unpacking the groceries.  I thought we should jump in the car and head straight back, but Jonathon thought differently.  We were finally headed back to the peanut butter store, but there was a fire at the gas station next door, so the store was closed. (Pretty valid reason) Now I’m conflicted.  Should I eat everything with peanut butter to make up for lost time, or should I ration the peanut butter so I’m not in this predicament again anytime soon. 
 
I’m thinking about all the family running or cheering in Oklahoma City this weekend.  We are with you in spirit.  Big congratulations to Julie’s crew for welcoming a beautiful baby girl into the world.  Please send me some pictures. 

2 comments:

  1. What a myriad of experiences you are having! So glad you are sharing. That sunset looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sand photos are impressive- holy moly! And yes, I get a kick out of the different 'english' phrases too!

    ReplyDelete