Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Testing Our Will Power

Well this is our third Ramadan, so we thought it was time to give this fasting thing a try.  Immerse ourselves in the culture as highly educated folk say.  For us, this meant no food for one day from sunup to sundown.  Since we are beginners, we still drank water.  

Here is a day in the life of a fasting foodie: 

4:10AM: Can't sleep due to awesome, noisy construction (because it is Ramadan and extremely hot during the day, most outdoor labor is done at night).  So I brush my teeth and head downstairs.  

4:30AM: Eat some breakfast before the sun comes up while admiring the awesome decorations from the shitty gender reveal party we hosted earlier this week.  Is it normal to still laugh at poop jokes in your twenties? 



4:44AM: Walk around the neighborhood and watch the sun come up.  Softly shed a tear and say goodbye to food for the day.

6:05AM: Drive to work.  We leave a little early since we don't need to make/pack breakfast, lunch, or a gym bag.  We normally workout on our lunch break but that doesn't seem smart without consuming calories.

8:00AM: Don't eat breakfast at my normal time.  This is strange.

10:30AM: I don't feel different yet, but I think I better start heavily drinking water.

1:00PM: I'm not super hungry, but my body knows that it is time to eat.  Here is my sad water lunch.  Doesn't everyone have a pink fan and Arabic rug on their desk?

2:00PM: There is a dull hunger in my stomach and my teeth are chattering.   I'm really cold.  Maybe my circulation has slowed down.  

3:30PM:  Now I'm wearing my pashmina scarf like a blanket to keep warm, but this really just want to make me nap.  I'm very low energy.

4:00PM:  Good thing it is time to head home because my stomach is making strange, loud noises.

5:30PM: Just woke up from a nap.  I usually don't nap even on the weekends.  I'm not sure if I was so tired because of low fuel or not sleeping well.  Maybe a combination of both.

6:30PM: Time for food!  Broke the fast with some dates (the fruit and Jonathon) and good friends at iftar (an all you can eat buffet).

8:00PM: I was too busy eating to take pictures of the food, but I ate a gross amount and am uncomfortably full.  Now I want to fast tomorrow.

8:30PM: Run some errands on the way home from the restaurant since shops are closed during the day in Ramadan.

9:00PM: Get home and pack. We are jet-setting tomorrow! :)

9:30PM: Bedtime even with my nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment