Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting Into the Swing of Things

We are settling into our routine quite nicely.  Jonathon was busy this weekend hooking up all our electronics and now we are able to watch as much American television as our eyeballs can handle.  Jonathon was able to watch some football (the kind with the long, brown ball, not the round black and white ball) although the time difference made it tricky.
 
We have been exploring grocery stores figuring out where to buy everything.  Doha should really be called pita heaven.  Pita bread costs pennies (seriously less than a nickel) and is amazingly delicious.  We have lots of pita bread in our future and that makes me so happy.  One grocery store has a little refrigerated room where you can buy fresh, whole fish.  If I were brave enough to enter the smelly room with fish eyes staring at me and a man holding a cleaver, then I’m sure the fish would be amazing.  So far I have only been able to hold my breath and pick up already cut fish filets on display outside Nemo’s graveyard.  The salmon filets are wonderful, so I know that the other fish will be divine.  I am going to have to enter that scary room soon.  (Read as: Jonathon will be entering that room soon while I run away.)
We went to the mall this week and I was surprised to see a department store selling Christmas decorations.  Then, I went to break a sweat at the compound clubhouse and saw this beauty.  Christmas in the desert!  We can sled down sand dunes. 

American expats in Doha make a big deal about holidays.  I think it is overcompensation for not being in the U.S.  Halloween was celebrated with two evenings of trick-or-treating, and we are having a Thanksgiving potluck in the office.  I’m not complaining, but I do think it is funny that the compound’s tree is up before a lot of people in the U.S. have their trees up.
Sunday was Jonathon’s first day of work.  (We work Sunday through Thursday.)  He will be traveling some in his new role, so hopefully he will blog about his trips.  Get excited for an increase in photo quality.  He is a great photographer.  Today he made a trip to the field and he was so excited to have me take the following photo, so I know he will be pleased that I shared it with all of you.  Just look at that smile.
 
Not as exciting as Jonathon, but look at my new mug.  We work with a lot of Englishmen and Scots, so afternoon tea time has been added to my daily routine.  The office has a wonderful spread of tea, but I was getting tired of my styrofoam cup while waiting for our sea shipment.  My tea tastes so much better now.
 
Tonight I meet the ladies of the compound for a friendly game of Bunko.  The ladies, employees and spouses, get together once a month to play some Bunko.  Tonight my neighbor hosted and it was southern comfort themed with chill and cornbread as the main meal.  Quite tasty and fun to meet more neighbors.  I also won last! (I got last place.)
Tomorrow is the Islamic New Year which fits nicely with the beginning of our new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment