Monday, November 19, 2012

My First Funk

We went back to the beach this past weekend.  It was windy and a little bit chilly.  It is November though, so it is probably appropriate to be cold standing in a wet swimsuit.  The wind brought out the kite boarders and they were great entertainment.
 
 
I also went to a bazaar and purchased a lovely table runner.  I included this picture simply to show it off.  I expect lots of oohs and aahs.  And yes, the table runner has a large crease in it from being folded, but I am afraid that ironing it might ruin it.  There is also the fact that I don't even iron my clothes so why would I iron something for the table.
 
 
It is a funny week.  In the last post I said that expats seem to go a little crazy to celebrate holidays.  Now I understand why.  If you don't make an effort to celebrate holidays, then the day comes and goes just like any other day and you are left with a strange empty feeling.  In Qatar, Thursday is just another work day, only to Americans is it Thanksgiving.  In an attempt to make sure that Thanksgiving isn't forgotten, I am making dessert to share with the office on Thursday.   Then on Friday we are having a celebration with our sweet neighbors complete with watching the Cowboy/Brown football game and a feast.
 
I am just sad that I will not be joining the Holmes family for Thanksgiving this year.  Jonathon's family in Chicago has been busy the past few months welcoming new grandchildren into the world and I was looking forward to seeing lots of baby photos.  I am also very disappointed that I will not get to sit on Grandpa Lyle's porch and take in this view.
 
 
I am experiencing my first homesick spell, but there are always pluses and minuses to all experiences.  I decided that I'm allowed to feel sad for a couple days, as long as I don't let it take over.  I just can't forget how blessed I am to even be in the position that I get to experience another culture and establish new traditions.  I am just missing celebrating the way I am accustom to.  At least I get to celebrate with my hubby.  Wednesday will be the two year mark from when we got engaged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment