Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Candy and Crazies

This year I was comforted by seeing scary monsters, skeletons, and witches.  While I was packing up my bag to head home after work, I realized that it was Halloween and maybe Doha didn't care but I did.  I asked my driver (That's right, I don't have a driver's license yet so I have a driver.  I never said I wasn't spoiled.) to make a stop at a British market and I was reunited with my beloved chocolate.  I loaded up on goods and races home to wait for the sun to set and hoped that I might get some trick-or-treaters.  I talked to some neighbors and learned that a list was circulated of homes where trick-or-treaters could stop, and I was not on the list because I didn't sign-up.  (If I would have know about the list, then I would have obviously signed up.)  That didn't stop me though, I emptied my candy into a pasta cooking pot because I don't have any bowls, dragged a dinning room chair to the front porch, and sat in front of the house looking like a crazy lady reading my book waiting to give children cavities.

In the middle of my stakeout, my neighbor came home and stared at me for awhile.  When she got out of her car, I offered her a piece of candy and she asked what all the children were doing.  She is from the Netherlands and wasn't familiar with Halloween.  She invited me over for a cup of tea and we had a good laugh while I tried to explain Halloween and realized that I don't understand it myself.  It was a fun evening and seeing all the kids dressed up made me feel not so far away.

Yesterday I caught boat fever.  My new Doha friends (they voluntarily have been seen in public with me more than five times) and I went to the Pearl, which is a port full of beautiful yachts surrounded by a catwalk with cafes, shops, and restaurants. 

 
 
I just think that I would look really good sunbathing on this beauty.  Let a girl dream.  It's Halloween, a holiday to use your imagination.  Tomorrow I get our first shipment and am excited to start making this place our home.

1 comment:

  1. You would look FABULOUS on that boat! You are making me want to come over to Doha! I am so glad you had a great evening.

    ReplyDelete